My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book Review: Breed of Innocence, by Lanie Jordan

Breed of Innocence
Lanie Jordan

Initial Thoughts: I. Loved. This. Book


Summary (from Goodreads):

Six hours ago, men in dark suits and sunglasses came looking for me.
Four hours ago, they offered me training to hunt the things that killed my family: demons.
Two hours ago, I joined their secret organization—the CGE.
Now… All I have to do is survive demon-hunting school.

The classes won’t kill me, but the finals might.


My Rating: 4 1/2 Stars!!!
                                                                                      
My Thoughts:
I just really, really liked this book. The main character, Jade, is 16 and sassy and sarcastic and strong. She's endearing in the nobody-loves-me kind of way, and oh my gosh, funny as hell. I rarely chuckle out loud when reading, but found myself doing that here and there. Sometimes I'd go back and re-read something just for the thrill of re-reading it again, it was that good. The author's writing style had that sumthin-sumthin that just appealed to me right from the start. I gobbled every word, sentence, paragraph, page.

You have the mysterious adult who could be good, could be bad, could be both. You like him...yet you don't quite trust him. As you're reading you're kinda waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. It does and it doesn't. Don't judge our Mr. Greene too soon.

And our strong, almost-bad-boy-but-not-quite-cuz-he's-got-a-killer-gaze-and-even-more-lethal-smile? Linc? That guy? Delish. Perfect. He's strong but not so silent. Got a sense of humor. And is not quite comfy sharing feelings. The romance here is perfect. Not too sappy...I hate sap...it, like, gets all over your fingers when you're turning the pages and you can't get it off. Most sappy love scenes sound just as corny in my head as they look on the page. Thankfully, you won't find none of that here. If that's your scene and you dig the sappy stuff, that's ok, but you're forewarned you won't find it in the pages of this book.

So, why didn't I give it 5 stars? Almost did. But a couple of things held me back. First, I didn't quite understand why Jade's nemesis, who is a grade above Jade, was at the newbie orientation and why Jade and her nemesis were paired up for Jade's finals. Seems to me the older student would be having finals more in line with her grade level, not Jade's. Second, the wrap-up in the end seemed to take just a tad too long, and kind of went over the same information over and again. I was getting kinda bored there for a minute.

But, super book, super writing, and a super fun read. Highly recommended.

No comments: