My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: Charade, by Cambria Hebert

Charade
Cambria Hebert

Initial Thoughts: Started slow, ended well. :)

My Rating: 3 Stars
Summary:
Dying at the hands of a psycho was a shock. Having my life returned to me by an angel was incredible. Being named a Supernatural Treasure and being given Sam as my guard was pretty darn awesome. Acquiring a debt for it all - well, I should have seen it coming. Now here we are, fighting demons from hell, caring for a boy that I just don't trust and traveling to faraway places to return a treasure to its rightful place. Nothing is as it seems. Everyone wears a mask, everyone puts on a charade. It's up to us to separate the truth from the lies and reality from fiction. A hard task when my new reality involves fallen angels, witches and dragons...and did I mention hell? Anchoring me down through it all is Sam. Sam who must face tragedies of his own and is put to the test again and again. If we fail in our task, life as we know it - life as you know it - will end. Forever.

My Thoughts:
As with the first book one, this 2nd book is still simply sweet. For folks who love stories with super-sweet romance, this book is for you. A lot of innocent kissing and hand-holding. You know those couples in high school that can't live for a moment without the other or they're just going "to die!"... ? That's Heven and Sam. 

Again, straight-forward plot, no real surprises except for maybe one. Sam's brother, Logan, just plain creeps me out. And yes, that's a good thing! I like to have some kind of reaction when I'm reading. :)  Oh, and mom's boyfriend? Not good, not good at all, though expected. He was written too creepy to be good news.

Some things didn't make sense for me, like why Cole wouldn't let Heven tell Kimber about him. If Kimber was his girlfriend, that wouldn't be a secret you'd keep, especially when seeing how upset it made her. To me, this was an plot-ploy to move the chess pieces into place.

Loved the Hell parts, as usual!  And not everyone is saved at the end... now *that* is a good thing! Of course, not for the characters... just for us dark readers who like edgy-unexpected.

No comments: