My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Book Review: The Darkest Kiss, by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
Gena Showalter



Lucien, who harbors the demon of Death, is having a battle of wills with Anya, the Goddess of Anarchy. What a pair these two are. Anya is stalking the Lords of the Underworld (Lucien, especially); Cronus, the king of the gods, is moving Lords and Goddess alike around like chess pieces; and all players are looking for the artifacts that will lead them to Pandora's Box. Everyone wants the box for their own ends, and most will betray anyone to get what they want, for the box will save some...and destroy others.

I had a hard time, at first, getting into this book because Lucien was not one of my favorite Lords. I kinda felt like a whiny Jan Brady, and kept thinking, "Lucien, Lucien, Lucien!" This book is all about Lucien.

Well, that feeling didn't last very long.

Lucien and Anya make a dynamic pair. Full of secrets, withheld thoughts/feelings, and misinterpreted actions. It's all so devilishly and artfully drawn, that you have to start lovin' it. I have kind of a girl-crush on Anya; she's just one of those fun, mischievous, and ballsy characters that grabs your interest and never lets go.

The plot thickens. There are so many players with so much going on, you never know who to trust. I loved the intricacy of the plot and sub-plots, never knowing where one path would lead or which path a character would take.

As usual, Ms. Showalter brilliantly draws the conflict in the Lords; their inner souls clashing with their inner demons once again claiming the reader's empathy.

Another yummy treat, and can't wait to eat the next in the series!


No comments: