My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Book Review: Dead of Eve, by Pam Godwin

Dead of Eve
Pam Godwin

Initial Thoughts: Riveting, horrifying, and chilling!
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!!!


Summary (from Good reads):
A virus devastates humanity. Few men survive. The rest are monsters. The women are dead, except Evie. Through a quirk in her genetics, she survives. When her physiology begins to evolve, she must come to terms with what she is and accept her role in finding a cure.

The mutated hunt her. The men brutalize her…except three. Cryptic warrior, contrite lover, caring enemy; they are fiercely protective of the last living woman, but divided in their own agendas. Can they come together to protect the only hope for humanity?

Evie must survive.

Content advisory: Guns. Gore. Sex.

My thoughts:
Okay, take a minute to think about this: There is only one woman left on earth. One. Woman. Seriously. Take a minute and think about it.

Done?

Okay, now every thought that ran through your head about what life would be like for this one sole-surviving woman, is in this book. If you're a woman, the thought is chilling. You should have chills running down your arms right about now.

The story is gritty and real, devastatingly sad yet profoundly happy. You love the characters; Evie is strong and tough and loving and kinda bad-ass. You can't help but love the 3 men who come into her life, her 3 guardians. Each one serves a clear-cut purpose, and it all ties together in the end. They are there to help guide her through her trials and tribulations, help her become the woman she needs to be...for all of humanity.

I have to say, I wasn't down with the whole aphid/bug thing. Ew, ick and gross. I'm going to throw a little girly thought out there but, could the plague have not been so, I don't know, yuck? LOL

Highly recommend this read.


4 comments:

laura thomas said...

Love your comment about the aphids! lol
They were very nasty:)
I adored Pam's story. I'll be first in line for the next one. It had to be hard to write about Eve and keep it real for the readers. She did a great job.

Pam Godwin said...

Ew, ick, gross, I know, right? Thank you so much for the lovely review!

Unknown said...

I too love Dead of Eve. Awesome writing that kept me flipping pages hoping for something good to happen to Evie. Like you said, the three guardians were the good that came to her.

Great review.

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more! Can't wait to read the next book.