My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1), by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Night
(Lords of the Underworld #1)
Gena Showalter

Maddox is one of the Lords of the Underworld. The Lords, at one time, were the guards of the gods, until the Lords betrayed the gods. The gods punished the lords by forcing each one to host a demon. Maddox's demon is Violence. Ashlyn is a woman who is besieged by voices; past and present, any language. She hears them all, and she wants the voices to stop. Thinking they are angels, she goes to the Lords, hoping they will be able to help her stop the voices.

This book is ultra steamy, so not for the YA audience.

This book is so well written, it grabs you like a pit bull and doesn't let go. Dinner? I'd rather starve. Dirty house? Deal with it. Work? Take a day off. Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down.

Besides Maddox and Ashlyn, there is a whole ensemble cast. Each character has purpose, has a distinct voice, and is absolutely endearing in their own messed-up way. They are portrayed with such exquisite torture, that you can't help but root for them to find a way to ease their suffering despite the things they're *forced* to do. The friendship of the Lords, regardless of their varying demons that often times puts them at odds with one another, is enduring and everlasting. When they're not wanting to kill each other, they would die for each other.

The writing is strong, suspenseful, and wickedly sexy. The occasional varying points of view only makes the connection with the characters deeper.

If I had one niggly complaint, it's the characters talking during sex. Some of the lines ended up sounding a tad corny to me. But that's a small price to pay for a top-notch read.

A resounding, "Yes, yes, yes!" from me.

No comments: