My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Book Review: Remembrance, by Michelle Madow

Remembrance
Michelle Madow

Star Rating: 4 Stars
Summary (from Goodreads):

Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.

My thoughts:
My first thought? The cover grabbed me. I don't  know why, but I just *like* it. A lot.

My second thought? By far the best indie book I've ever read. Seriously. I'm not kidding. There are some wicked good indie books out there, but this one rises to the top like cream.

And a slew of third, fourth, and fifth thoughts: The writing is great...a few glitches here and there, like a missing word, but who cares? When you're wrapped up in the Lizzie's life, getting irritated with her, falling in love with her, getting confused with her, you kinda over-look trivial things like missing words. Just fill in the blank and move on.

You end the book not liking many of the characters. I was sorry to see that, because some of these characters I really liked in the beginning. But given the story-line, maybe it was inevitable. I was surprised by one character especially...didn't see that one coming. 

Of course, that's a good thing, yes?









The biggest issue I had is that the premise of the story is second chances, and making things right. However, it seems to me that the person who had to make things right the second time around wasn't our main character, Lizzie. It was Drew. Even though the story predicated itself on Lizzie having a second chance to make things right, she had nothing to atone for. I almost feel that this story should have been told from Drew's point of view. Drew was the one with the most to lose, the one who needed to set things right.

But hell, it's still worth reading, especially if you like YA paranormal romance. This one is up there with the best of 'em.

No comments: