My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Book Review: The Vigilantes, by Lena Hillbrand

The Vigilantes
Lena Hillbrand

The Vigilantes is a riveting sequel to The Superiors. Draven is on a quest to obtain his human girl, Cali, who was bought by his old friend and mentor. On the way, he gets distracted by a group of humans--vigilantes--who want nothing to do with the ruling race of blood suckers. They claim to want to live in peace, but what transpires is a grisly look at human nature.

I loved the new characters and new plot lines that evolved from this book. The story follows several characters in what appears to be separate story lines. The author does a marvelous job of twisting the braid and bringing these stories together into a climatic end.

The beginning of the book was a little flat for me, mostly due in part to following Draven on his travels. Draven himself is not a riveting, charismatic type of character, so following him on his trip was a tad ho hum. HOWEVER, there's something appealing about his character, something there that grows on you and draws you in and gets you turning pages to see what happens to him next.

You'd expect to be rooting for the humans, but this story shows that just because you are human, doesn't mean that you have humanity. It begs the age-old question: Do you need brutality to obtain freedom?

The book ends much as it started: dire circumstances for the characters that we've grown to love and admire along the way. I give this one two thumbs up.

No comments: