My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: Frey, by Melissa Wright

Frey
Melissa Wright


Initial Thoughts: Pretty good book, starts off well but then hits a few bumps in the road.
My Rating: 3.5 Stars....
Summary (from Goodreads):

Unaware she's been bound from using magic, Frey leads a small, miserable life in the village where she's sent after the death of her mother. But a tiny spark starts a fury of changes and she finds hersef running from everything she's ever known.

Hunted by council for practicing dark magic, she is certain she's been wrongfully accused. She flees, and is forced to rely on strangers for protection. But the farther she strays from home, the more her magic and forgotten memories return and she begins to suspect all is not as it seems.

My thoughts:I was grabbed from the concept right from the start. And it starts off really well. You understand Frey, her motivations, her world, and you have to love the mysterious, yummy Chevelle. Dark, mysterious, powerful...dudes don't get better than Chevelle as a drool-worthy character. 
You follow Frey on her journey to discovery: who she is, who her family is, where her magic is, and who her protectors are. Because it's told in first person, you learn these things with Frey.

For me, in this book, that was a problem. Unfortunately, especially toward the end, things get fuzzy and confused...probably because Frey is fuzzy and confused. I don't like how she constantly passes out, and she seems to spend more time in bed recovering than really doing anything.

It seems ironic that her protectors both train (work) her to death to strengthen her, and yet seem to think she's so fragile that she can't handle knowing anything about herself or her past. She has a dark past, and I especially loved how that mystery unfolded.

But the ending. Oh. My. God. I have never been so confused at the ending of a book! I actually went back several pages to re-read to see if I'd missed something. Don't think I did. To me, the ending was a bit muddled and lacked clarity.

Overall, I liked the read, and will continue reading the series to see how it turns out (good thing Chevelle is so damn sexy-I'm left wanting more!)

No comments: