My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review: Obsidian, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
Jennifer L. Armentrout


















Initial Thoughts: Kept tabling the read because the cover didn't grab me, but I'm sorry I did. Loved it!

My Rating: 4 Stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

My thoughts:
Loved the characters, loved the writing, loved the friction between Katy and Daemon, loved the story! The voice in the book just pulls you in. Katy is a nice character, a good girl who's also spunky and alive and doesn't take any lip...she also doesn't like being told what to do. My kind of girl!

Daemon is hot, and a dick, while at the same time there's just something nice about him. Like he's a nice guy in dick's clothing. He's a really great character, and the back-and-forth between him and Katy just leaves you wanting more, more, more.

So what pulled down the rating for me? Well, there were a couple of Twilighty moments. I mean, you hear the old saying that there are no new stories, right? But there were enough similarities that every now and then I'd say to myself, "Humh, this is sounding a little like Twilight." But, no offense to Stephanie, this is much better written.

Definitely recommend this to YA fantasy readers. One of the best I've read this year.

No comments: