My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Book Review: The Last Keeper, by Michelle Birbeck

The Last Keeper
Michelle Birbeck


Initial Thoughts: Good, just not riveting until the end.

My Rating: 3 Stars
Summary (from Goodreads):

Serenity Cardea's race has been hunted to near extinction. She's a Keeper, with the ability to influence others, including those immortal beings who want dominance over the world. Ray Synclair is a history professor in training with a passion for times past. Fascinated by Serenity, he has no idea that the world is filled with immortals, most of whom want him dead. Because the only way to kill a Keeper is to kill their partner...



My Thoughts:
The concept here is a good one, a Keeper is one who keeps balance in the supernatural world. There are many curves and turns and twists that keep the plot interesting. The problem is that those curves and turns and twists don't appear until the last 1/3 of the story.

While I understand the importance of developing the relationship between Serenity and Ray, it just went on forever with nothing happening. It was so mundane that it would be easy for the reader to lose interest. If you keep chugging, however, there is pay-off in the end.

I didn't feel the chemistry between Serenity and Ray that I would have liked. If there had been more, I don't know, it going on, the first 2/3s of the story wouldn't have been so mundane, but there really wasn't any spice. It was all very calm, cool, and collected. It's a nice story, but  not one that would keep me up at night reading.

I'm hoping the 2nd book in the series starts out with a bang, now that we got all that history out of the way. 

No comments: