My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Book Review: The Precipice, by Johnathan Scott

The Precipice, by Johnathan Scott

This is an epic fantasy, reminiscent of Lord of the Rings, complete with a high-grade ensemble cast, and worlds where magic and strength combine with explosive imagery. Johnathan has created a believeable world where Celestial Knights guard and safe-keep the portals to all worlds, thus ensuring peace and harmony. However, not all desire peace and harmony! And that's when the knights set to work.

Let's start with the writing, which was fluid and professional and a delight to read. The editing was professional as well. While I don't care for the use of capital letters in dialogue (indicating power behind the words, and which I don't think Johnathan needed), this was mainly regulated to the early chapters.

I have to admit, when the story started out with a talking walking stick, I didn't think I was going to like it. I am so happy to admit I couldn't have been more wrong! The walking stick's relationship with the thief is so well-done and funny that I now think that this was the most brilliant piece of the story. I loved it.

Johnathan has a complex world and a large ensemble cast that he had to introduce to his readers. Again, he managed this with polish and style, introducing each character in his own place and in his own time. While you slowly engage these characters as you read, the author gives you glimpses of back-ground, mainly the initiation of each character into Knighthood. It was so well done that not once did I feel as though I'd been taken away from the story at hand.

The only fault I would find with this story is how the author would change from using characters' first names to last names and back again. With such a large cast, I did find this hard to follow at times, and would sometimes need to take a moment to figure out who was speaking. Other than that, this story was a wonderful read, and is highly recommended.

4.5 stars!

No comments: