My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Review: Bound, by J. Elizabeth Hill

Bound
J. Elizabeth Hill

Initial Thoughts: Nice, creative, magical read!

Summary (from Goodreads):
Freshly graduated from the Voleno Academy, Faylanna Derrion is trying to find her solitary place in a world where she and her fellow Magicia are expected to find their magical partner as soon as possible. When her mentor and his partner are taken by a terrible darkness before her eyes, her flight to find help brings Tavis into her life. Can she learn to see him as more than a simple farmer or will she accede to her father’s demands to return to her family’s home, following a path others have laid out for her? Can she choose her own course, after a lifetime of refusing to bind herself to anyone?

My Rating: 3.5 Stars...oh, what the hell, let's throw in that extra 1/2 star and make it an even 4. 
My Thoughts:
When I first dove into this book, I had a wee spot of trouble with the writer's style, kind of like run-on thoughts, like someone who talks a lot and doesn't think to take a breath but just keeps going and going and you're almost surprised that you haven't lost your train of thought from the beginning of the thought-train! Slightly out of (mental) breath.

Okay, yes, I jest a little. But once I got into the story, I either didn't notice this any longer, or the author got into a rhythm, or maybe it wasn't as bad as I'd originally imagined it. Whatever. The point is, I stopped caring cuz we have us some nice magic here.

I liked the characters, I liked the plot, I liked the world the author built, I liked the mystery and trying to figure out what the hell was going on and trying (and failing) to guess at the motives and foresee plot twists. It was a fun read, and I enjoyed myself, especially because I just had to keep reading to find out how it all ended, cuz I had no clue.

Did some things annoy me? Well, yeah. Especially with some of the downright stupid choices Faye makes. I mean, *I* could see who the bad guy was, and I wanted to reach into the page and throttle her sometimes. I think some of that was spell-work though, and maybe not entirely her fault. Plus, she's nineteen and new to the world of adults and betrayals and secrets and magic. I liked her independence and strength. I liked how she wanted to be her own woman who makes her own choices and her own mistakes. Good for you, Faye.

Tavis, supposed to be a strong hunk, but I had trouble getting past the country bumpkin image in my head. I like him, truly I do, and I get that he's strong both physically and magically...there was just some magic missing for me.

Maybe it's cuz I like me some bad boys. I found myself more drawn to Marcius. Shame on me. But hoo boy! Was there some heat going on between Marcius and Faye. I think I'm blushing. 

So if you like magical worlds and twisty plots and a bit of mystery and romance, pick up a copy of Bound.

No comments: