My Book Rating System

My book rating system is based on 5 stars. The book must be rated at least 3 stars for a review.

3 Stars: Good story, good plot, good writing.

4 Stars: I was wowed, but something about the story fell short of perfection.

5 Stars: I was either drooling, on the edge of my seat, or falling in love.

If you would like me to review your book, please contact me at 00ibitz@charter.net.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Book Review: Wicked Sense, by Fabio Bueno

Wicked Sense
Fabio Bueno

Initial Thoughts: Wicked good!

My Rating: 5 wicked stars!
Summary:
Witches inhabit our world, organized in covens and hiding behind a shroud of secrecy—the Veil.

Skye’s London coven sends her to Seattle’s Greenwood High to find the Singularity, an unusually gifted witch who may break the Veil and trigger a dangerous new era of witch-hunting. Things get complicated when Skye meets a charming new classmate, Drake. Skye’s job becomes even trickier when she clashes with Jane, an intimidating rival witch.

Drake falls for the mysterious Skye, but odd accidents, potion mix-ups, and the occasional brush with death kind of get in the way of romance. Once he discovers Skye is a witch, he goes to war for her, even though his only weapons are a nice set of abs and a sharp sense of humor.

Fighting off wicked Jane and the other dark forces hell-bent on seizing the Singularity's immense power, Skye and Drake will risk everything to save the covens.

Going on a date has never been harder.

My Thoughts:
First, loved the characters. The story is told in 2 points of view, Drake's and Skye's. Drake's chapters are especially good, and the voice is so strong, it's perfect the book opens in his POV because it immediately draws you in.  Loved, loved Fabio's writing style. I do like Skye as well, but Drake is 'the man'!

What is especially captivating is not only the characters, because even the minor characters are exceptionally drawn, is the interaction between them. And I don't mean just our 2 main squeezes, but their interactions with the other characters. I don't believe I have a single complaint! Woot!

I liked the plot, I likde the world-building, I liked the ebb and flow of the story. There are some red herrings about who the Singularity is. While you can kinda guess, you can't know for sure because there are a few options, so you have to read to the end to confirm your suspicions.

I'm not quite sure I dig the ending. The scheme they come up with in the end seems tetchy at best, and as I was reading it, I was thinking "This is never gonna fly". But maybe that's the point. It's not going to fly, and their innocent, naive plans in hiding you-know-who is perhaps the bridge to the next book. Which I will definitely read!

No comments: